How do I apply for a job as a Pierce Day Camp Counselor?
Applying is easy, simply click here or on the Apply Now link on the left side of this page to submit your online application. As part of the application you will be supplying contact information for two references who will be sent a reference form to complete on your behalf. Once we have received those reference forms back, you will need to contact the office to set up a personal interview by calling us at (516) 621-2211 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
What will I get out of being a camp counselor?
A: You can gain so much from a summer working at Pierce!
- You will experience the unique feeling of satisfaction that results from being a positive influence in the development of children.
- The potential exists for you to discover new interests, new friends and new skills.
- You will spend the entire summer in the outdoors and will engage in physical activities that promote your healthy physical development.
- You will gain increased abilities in working with children and other adults and increased interpersonal skills that will benefit you in your future career plans.
What skills are you looking for in a Pierce Day Camp counselor?
The skills that make a successful counselor are:
- The ability to work well with children of all ages.
- The belief that you can make a difference in the life of a child.
- The willingness and ability to foster self-esteem, cooperation, courage, responsibility and FUN!
- The ability to work well in close proximity with others.
- A love of the outdoors - in all weather conditions.
- The ability to take charge and motivate others.
- Creativity, patience, kindness, cooperation and spirit.
- The ability and willingness to be a positive role model.
- The willingness to pitch-in and go the extra mile…
How long will the job last?
A summer season at Pierce Country Day camp lasts eight weeks. All staff members will also be required to spend approximately three days before camp at pre-camp staff orientation meetings. THESE MEETINGS ARE MANDATORY!
If you are not a bus driver or bus counselor, your camp day begins at 8:30 a.m. sharp and ends after the last bus departs from camp, about 4:00 p.m. Staff leave camp after the campers have left. One day of the camp season some counselors will be required to remain in camp to assist with their group’s “Pow Wow” show. The length of this day depends on your specific group assignment.